Gas safe regulations for commercial kitchen extraction. Everything you need to know

Gas Safety Regulations - Commercial Kitchen

Commercial kitchens are subject to regulation because of the ventilation that is required and the risk of fire that they can pose if correct guidance is not followed. Here are some answers to common questions on the ventilation of commercial kitchens. Whist it is impossible for this article to be a complete resource, it should answer a number of common questions and it does point to further, more detailed resources.

What is a gas interlock system?

Gas Interlock Systems are designed to shut off the gas supply to commercial kitchens in the event of a fan failure. They are also used to ensure that the air flow rates achieved by commercial kitchen extraction systems meet the minimum standards as set out by the Building & Engineering Services Legislations DW/172 (The Specification of Kitchen Ventilation Systems).

How Do Interlock systems work?

Gas interlock systems operate by monitoring the operation of the fan or fans within the extraction system. This can be achieved by two methods. Firstly a differential air pressure switch can be used, this senses the static air pressure, the pressure switch can be set a different levels of sensitivity to achieve a shut off at the required level of air throughout. Alternatively an electrical current sensor can be used instead of an air pressure switch, this monitors the electrical current to the fan to achieve the same objective.

Is a gas interlock system a legal requirement?

According to the UK’s gas safety regulations and the British Standard BS6173, any food business operating a commercial kitchen must install a gas safety interlock system. Therefore, you need to have a gas safety interlock system fitted to comply with the law.

What is a CP42 certificate?

A CP42 certificate (Commercial Gas Safety Inspection (non-domestic)) is the official name for the safety certificate that is issued annually by a registered Gas Safe engineer to cover all installation and appliances in commercial kitchens.These typically cover all gas appliances, pipework, extraction & interlock systems. These certificates specifically target commercial kitchen facilities. Included in these regulations are:

  • Restaurants & Cafes
  • Take-away shops
  • Catering businesses
  • Staff canteens
  • Food production centres

Do I need a CP42 Gas Safety Certificate?

Yes, if you have a commercial kitchen with gas appliances. You have legal duty to ensure sure that any gas equipment on your premises is checked and certified by a gas safe qualified engineer at least once every year. Your insurance cover will almost certainly depend on you having a current CP42 Gas Safety Certificate

If you lease your property, don’t assume this is the responsibility of the Landlord. Usually leases include clauses that pass responsibility for gas safety to the leaseholder.

How much does an interlock system cost?

Gas interlock systems to not need to be expensive. Ducting Express offer such a system for £101.40 + VAT

What will I need to connect a gas interlock system?

The gas interlock system will be connected to a gas solenoid valve (sold separately) and must be configured to close off the main gas supply if the fan is not running or there is insufficient extraction air.

Please note that gas interlock systems can only be legally installed by a certified person.

If you require a kitchen gas interlock system, please feel free to give Ducting Express a call. We are experts in the design & installation of extraction & ventilation systems & can advise as to what is the best solution to meet your goal. We provide gas interlock systems & baffle filters for commercial kitchens and can advise of their best & most economical use in your system.

Further Resources:

For more information, here are some resources:

The Health & Safety Executive’s information on Gas Safety in catering & hospitality

The BESA’s Specification for kitchen ventilation systems: