A common question we get asked here at Ducting Express is “How do I install a blast gate damper into my duct run?”. We have created a video tutorial to explain how this important component of a dust and fume extraction system is fitted.
What are blast gate dampers?
Blast gate dampers are designed to be used in dust & fume extraction systems where they can shut off branches within a system, maximizing efficiency. These dampers are simple to add to an existing system or can be incorporated into the system during design. The dampers can also be used in a wide range of other applications. For further information about blast gate dampers read our blog post here.
Watch our YouTube video below:
What you will need:
- Blast gate damper;
- Spiral ducting (this may already be installed to your extraction system);
- Angle grinder;
- Marker pen;
- Duct sealant;
- Safety glasses;
- Safety gloves;
- Hearing protection.
How to install a blast gate damper:
- Disassemble your blast gate damper by removing the bolts on either side.
- Using the top section of the blast gate damper as a guide, make a mark where you are going to cut into the spiral with your marker pen. This should be slightly over half way around the duct.
- Wearing Personal Protective Equipment, using the mark made in the previous step, cut out a slot for the blade of the blast gate damper. Your slot should be around 10mm wide to allow the blade to easily slide in and out. As mentioned above, the slot should be slightly over half way around the duct.
- Re-assemble your blast gate around the spiral ducting with the blade going through the slot just created.
- Put the bolts back into each side of the blast gate damper and tighten. Your blast gate damper is now installed ready to be used. The blade can be fully pushed in to stop airflow through the duct or pulled out to allow the air to flow through.
Optional, you can use duct sealant around the damper and the duct.
If you have any further questions about how install blast gate dampers please give our team a call on 01455 616 444. Alternatively, you can purchase your own blast gate damper from our online store today.